As an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) I provide clinical breastfeeding* assessments to parents in New York City. To begin, contact me.
Why Have A Home Visit?
- something hurts (sore or damaged nipples, breast pain, plugged ducts)
- baby is not latching, “slides” off breast, is too sleepy to nurse
- baby is gaining weight slowly
- concerns about baby’s tongue or torticollis
- something feels "not right"
- concerns about milk supply
- issues relating to preemies
- previous breast surgery, unusually shaped breasts or nipples
- concerns regarding feeding management for trans/gnc parents
What happens at the visit?
An initial visit lasts about 2 hours. During that time, I will:
- take your history and conduct physical examination
- assess baby "at rest and at breast" (observing a feed)
- work with parent and baby to achieve comfortable latch and positioning
- weigh the baby before and after a feed
- discuss management of feeding and active problem-solving
- facilitate communication between parents
- develop a customized, written care plan based on the assessment, to guide family through the next few days
- write a report to send to baby’s pediatrician and your care provider, to coordinate care with the rest of the health care team
- make a referral to a specialist if needed
- provide you with a receipt to submit for insurance reimbursement.
- do my best to help you feel more secure and confident in managing your family's needs, with practical tools and non-judgmental, empathetic support.
Following the visit, we will be in touch over the next several days to tinker with the care plan and get you on your way. Subsequently, many parents find it helpful to schedule followup visits for further support and education, as they get the hang of things.
You deserve to have a good experience as you get to know your baby.
Preparing for your visit:
- Try to arrange for the baby to be ready to feed shortly after our visit begins. (I know you can't plan this exactly, but ideally we'll have a few minutes to get started, talk about history and get comfortable, and then move on to the feeding. Please try not to feed the baby a full feeding just before I arrive!)
- Do you have to clean up your apartment? Oh my goodness, please don't bother!
- If you think we may play with the breast pump, I suggest getting it out and cleaning the parts (great role for your partner)
Note: I will try to see you as soon as possible after you contact me, or will help you find someone else! Since so many people need near-immediate help, I have a 24 hour cancellation policy.